Featured Article for Summer 2013
Goal Setting – The Basics of Effectively Setting Your Goals
By Carol Marsh
This is what most people say about goals. “I don’t need goals; I’m doing fine.”
But the truth is living your life without goals and objectives is like going from north London to south London on the underground but without use of the underground map with which train to catch in which direction. Hopping on and off station-to-station and hoping for the best. If you are doing well today without written goals and plans, you could probably be doing many times better in the future if you had clear targets to aim at and the ability to measure your progress as you go along.
If you have tried and failed before and look to give it one more try, you have to know your mistakes and learn from it and set realistic and time-bounded goals to make sure you are still in the right track.
Effective GOAL SETTING is essential and a critical step to achieve success. If you want to achieve the end result you have envisioned in your mind whether it be success at a business, the lifestyle you always dreamed of or finally having the financial security for your loved ones. Whatever end result you have, goal setting is necessary to achieving it.
Fortunately, goal setting is a skill, like time management, teaching, selling, managing, or anything else that you need to become a highly productive and effective person. And all skills are learnable. You can learn the skill by practice and repetition until it becomes as easy and as automatic as breathing. And from the very first day that you begin setting goals, the progress you will make and the successes you will enjoy will dazzle you.
Here are the steps to help you effectively set up your goals:
1. Find your Passion – The first thing you should focus on is finding a business, a career, a venture or anything at all that you know will keep you motivated especially in the long run. Remember that you’re in this for long-term. Your passion will serve as the fuel in motivating you to move closer to reaching your goals.
2. Visualize – Before you even start, you need to see the end result in your mind and always keep it there. You have to see yourself living out your dream, your business, and your passion. You have to see everything clearly in your mind, every detail and every achievement. For what your mind can perceive, you can achieve.
3. Be Realistic With Your Goals - Although we can set specific goals for us to achieve, it is also necessary to base our goals on realistic targets and end-results. Make sure that when you set them, with the resources you have at hand, the time and effort you can achieve them. Know your strengths and weaknesses and adjust your goals according also to your skills and capabilities to make sure that they are definitely achievable.
4. Identify Long-Term from Short-Term Goals - Goals also have variances. A short-term goal is something you want to do in the near future. The near future can mean today, this week, this month, or even this year. A short-term goal is something you want or you need to accomplish soon while a long-term goal is something you want to do further in the future. Long-term goals require time and planning and can take months to years to achieve such as expansion, increase or branch out a business, increase sales to 50%, etc.
5. Prioritize your goals – Prioritizing means that you decide what is most important to you as of the moment. It is concluded that all of your goals are important, but it’s impossible to work on all of them at once. So you have to be decisive and flexible. Being flexible is important. Change your focus on goals as your life changes.
6. Set Goals and Act on them - Don’t waste too much time on setting your goals and spending less time achieving them, you have to budget enough time for setting or changing goals and more on action. Make sure that you are giving your best effort to reach those goals, put in the extra effort, love what you do and it will eventually turn out well.
Always keep in mind that when you have clear, long-term goals, with specific plans to achieve it, even if you may have to change course many times, but you will eventually arrive at your destination of health, wealth and great success.
AMS understands the importance of developing a clear, structured marketing plan to grow, nurture and retain valuable customers.
Caroline Marsh is the Founder of Gem Women Alliance, a global entrepreneurial mastermind created to match “Aspiring Entrepreneurs” with the resources, knowledge and guidance they need to succeed. She is also one of UK’s top female property investors. After her huge success, she was known on Channel 7 as ‘Secret Millionaire’ after being part of the London television show. She believes in living life with a purpose and her purpose is to inspire and mentor aspiring entrepreneurs in achieving their success. Her business mentoring programs equip aspiring entrepreneurs with the necessary skills, tools and her own proven strategies (she used to create her multi-million property business) on how to establish a successful business.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Carol_Marsh