Cranberry Beef Roast
From: Diabetic Living
Servings: 6 (5 ounces cooked meat and 3/4 cup sauce) servings
Prep: 30 mins
Total: 3 hrs 30 mins
- 1 3-pound beef brisket
- Ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. cooking oil
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 medium green or red sweet pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 16-oz. can whole cranberry sauce
- 1 15- to 16-oz. can marinara sauce or tomato sauce
1. Trim fat from beef brisket. Sprinkle brisket with salt and pepper. In a 4- to 6-quart Dutch oven, cook brisket in hot oil about 10 minutes or until browned, turning once. Remove brisket from Dutch oven. Add celery, sweet pepper, onion, the water, and garlic to Dutch oven. Cook and stir over medium heat about 5 minutes or just until vegetables are tender. Add the cranberry sauce and marinara or tomato sauce; cook until bubbly.
2. Return brisket to the sauce mixture in Dutch oven. Cover and simmer about 3 hours or until brisket is tender. Remove the brisket; cover with foil and let stand while preparing sauce. Boil sauce gently, uncovered, for 5 to 10 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened. Slice brisket. Serve brisket with sauce. Makes 6 (5 ounces cooked meat and 3/4 cup sauce) servings.
Calories 413, Total Fat 13 g, Saturated Fat 4 g, Cholesterol 76 mg, Sodium 549 mg, Carbohydrate 38 g, Fiber 3 g, Protein 35 g. Exchanges: Vegetable 1, Other Carbohydrate 2, Lean Meat 5.
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet